Roleplex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplex is a place to make stories and collaborate with other writers in new ways of writing

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:04 pm

Gamba frowned, puzzled by the answer. She had that tone in her voice that struck him as disappointed. He guessed perhaps he had changed the subject too quickly, but he could not speak easily about his heart. He sighed a bit, before allowing himself to relax, "Layla, I do feel the same way for you, if that was what you wished to know. I said earlier that I would be a fool to reject you, and that statement still stands. My answer is yes, and that goes without saying. It is only nagging at me that you should be able to sleep in a proper den, forgive me if I blundered." He said. There was an apologetic tone to his voice, as well as a slightly confused note.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Transvestite Administrator
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 pm

Layla breathed out. "Okay, I was just confused there for a second. Sorry, I get really worried about this kind of stuff and I'm sooo paranoid" she said with a smile. She glanced back at her den. "Yeah... That doesn't look very comfy. In fact that looks a little unsafe, I might have to find a new spot altogether" she looked around the camp seeing little spots available even though the new camp was huge and twice the size of the old one. She suddenly spotted a part in the woods, just a little distance away from the cave in the cut out hill that belonged to Jali and Sira.

"Hmm... There might be a spot" she said gesturing to the spot with her head. "What do you think?"
Back to top Go down
http://darklord979.deviantart.com/
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Gamba looked at the spot. It seemed to be good, and there appeared to be thick bushes whose branches could be used as lining or support. "It appears to be good, but we may have to build it differently. Packed soil is better for a den that is a distance from water that makes carrying mud difficult, although a layer of dried mud on the inside wall can keep the packed soil from caving in and making a mess. Mud is always tricky, too much water will make it drip as a sloppy, shapeless mess, and not enough will result in it cracking as it dries. We can also pack thick branches for support." He said. "First, though, we have to find soil that is hard when packed, but it has to be found in a loose form so we can dig it up."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 pm

"Alright" she said searching the ground for soil. She found a spot that seemed pretty equal to Gamba's description. It would be hard when packed and a bit loose to be dug up. Layla walked over and stood next to it. "What about this?"

--------------------------

Sira and Jali saw Layla spring into a much happier posture and the both of them gave out sighs of relief at the exact same time. Sira giggled a little bit. "Come on, you need a lot of rest" she told the king. "You lost a lot of sleep over that little journey"

"Alright" Jali said as he and Sira got up and began moving into the cave. "But I have to get up later to talk to the pride when our homes are built"

"Alright, I'll wake you up when everyone's done" she said. The two of them laid down on a smooth piece of rock, side-by-side and quickly fell asleep. Sira would get up in a few minutes though, she just wanted to get a quick rest before she had to get moving again.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 11:06 pm

"That looks about right. Come on, let's start carrying it over." Gamba said, nodding. With this, he dug one paw deep into the soil and picked up a bit of it. He then started to carry it over to the site, placing it around the edge of where the den's hollow would be. He then came back, "Layla, before you yourself gather soil, you may want to trample down the ground where the burrow is. The resulting bowl shape makes the walls easier to judge, and I myself believe that it should be comfortable and suitable to you. Once it's done, it can be lined with leaves for bedding." He said. With this, he grabbed another paw full of soil.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 am

Layla nodded, walking over to the burrow and trampling down the ground. After a few stomps she walked back out and got some soil. Afterwards she began picking leaves from the trees and stacking them in a pile to be applied. She gently hummed as she did so, at the moment, everything was happy in her world and she could only imagine how proud her sister would be. Layla sighed as a calming breeze swept over the camp, making a beautiful aura.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 am

Slowly, walls began to form for Layla's den, and as he packed them, Gamba was careful to watch to make sure they did not collapse. It was much less messier than mud, but could still be difficult, as he could only carry one paw full at a time. Layla seemed to be enjoying herself, and that was a good thing. The entire Pride was settling in better than he had expected. Now that he thought about it, they would soon have a different name. They no longer lived near a ridge, and they would have to come up with a different title. He wondered what that would be.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 2:48 am

"That looks comfy!" Layla said cheerfully. She sat down as Gamba was finishing it up. "Thank you for the help. I don't know much about den-making, my sister made my old one." She looked over at the beautiful sunset, sighing peacefully. She felt a peace of heart as a breeze came from the direction of the sun in the horizon, setting behind some of the trees. She glanced at the lake, this would probably be a source of the pride's new name. But she couldn't be sure. She pushed the thought away for a moment, Jali would announce it later when everyone had built the basis of the camp. For now she glanced out at the sunset, sighing with relief and peace. She glanced back at Gamba for a moment with a smile, then back at the sunset.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:13 am

"Well, I watched a lot of different techniques. Different dens have different advantages, it just depends on what you prefer, and what resources you have." Gamba said. He looked at the sun, "The sun is starting to set," He said, stating the obvious, although there was meaning in his words. Although it was beautiful, it made his heart beat slightly faster. When he had lived in Ethiopia before, Gamba had been a solitary creature, not belonging to any pride. He had developed a routine of sleeping during the day, and hunting at night. Due to this, the sight of the setting sun meant something else for him, aside from hope. When night fell, the hunt began, and the bats rose from their caves. Strange creatures emerged as well, and dangerous things could lurk about. He flexed his claws slightly, "When nightfall comes, the land is transformed. I hope that nobody here startles too easily, for the night will not be quiet as it is in Kenya. Strange animals wander after dark." Although originally feeling very tired, he now felt restless. His old routine was trying to come back to him again.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:20 am

Layla noticed Gamba flexing his claws. From her peaceful mood broke a bit of worry. She glanced at Gamba and sat next to him. "We'll be alright..." she said, with faith, starring into the trees that kept the sun's harmful lights at bay and left a beautiful orb of orange that lit the clouds up crimson and scarlet. The breeze was still softly into the air, not too hard, not too soft. She felt more at home here, than she did in Kenya, despite Gamba's words. And she did worry, but she kept her feelings tied away so her peace and grace and love could come in and have room in her heart.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:47 am

"I'm sure we will. It is just the life that I lived. I would sleep during the day, and travel by night, primarily. It is familiar to me, and so I feel restless at the sight of the setting sun." Gamba replied. Although initially he was a calm and collected creature, he still felt at times eager to make a kill. He had spent a long amount of time using the steady strides of a lion, keeping himself in control. However, now that he was in a place he knew, he wished to do something else. He wanted to run in powerful bounds, like a tiger, and feel the crisp night air. If it was not the lion part of him that wished to do this, then the tiger part longed for freedom. He would have to restrain himself, however. He could hunt later, as it would be best if he stayed here. He took a deep breath, and let it out, relaxing a bit. "I suppose I have spent enough energy, however. It would be best to stay here for now, rather than go and hunt."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:08 am

Layla nodded. "We can hunt tomorrow"

Suddenly Sira and Jali emerged from the cave, walking down to the hearth of the activity. Everyone was near finished with their homes. Layla nudged Gamba to bring his attention to Jali as the king stood in front of a crowd of lions.

"My people... Today, we've created a new home, and how fast you've managed to create your dens is impressive. I'm glad we had this day. My thanks go forever to the spirits... and to Gamba" he said giving a glance to Layla and Gamba. "Now, our new name. We need one, does anyone have any ideas?"
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:36 am

Gamba didn't really have any suggestion for a name. He was curious to hear the ideas of others, however. He was sure something would have to deal with the lake, perhaps, or maybe the location of the lake being in the foothills. There was a lot of lush green grass and trees, too, and then the fact was that there may even be keys to their origin in Kenya. It was truly a puzzling thing, and he would not be able to ponder the right name.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:56 am

"Lake Pride?" one lioness asked. "Tree pride?" a young male said. Jali stood motionless, then looked around afterwards. "Kenya Pride?"
"Forest Pride?"
"Water Pride?"
"Cloud Pride?"
"Dry Pride?"
"Drought Pride?"

Jali didn't hear anything he liked. "Well... We're getting some alright names but nothing that really sticks out, any other ideas?"

Layla looked over at the sunset and instantly got an idea. "Sunset Pride!" she shouted. Jali's eyes perked up, eyes widening. He glanced at Sira and Taru they both nodded delightfully. "That must be it! Sunset Pride!"
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 5:09 am

Gamba nodded quietly, "That is a good idea." He said. He knew some of the names like Lake Pride or Forest Pride would probably be mentioned, but until they were spoken out loud, he had no clue how awful they would truly sound. Sunset Pride was a good name, because a sunset was a beautiful thing to see, a sign of a happy ending, for most. For him, however, the Sunset was like the rising sun, the beginning of night.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 5:19 am

Layla smiled. She liked that her name was used. Jali looked over at the two, giving a nod to Layla in approval of the name. He glanced back at the pride. "And so our name is Sunset Pride!"

The lions began to find it even better than their previously mentioned ones and cheered it on. Once Jali had spoken a few more words, everyone split up, Sira passing a smile to Gamba and Layla as her and Jali passed them. Layla was bored and not tired. "Well, what do you want to do?" she asked Gamba. "I mean, I'll go hunting with you now if you want" she added with a smile.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:52 am

Gamba looked at Layla, "It will be very dark, and hard for you to see, but you would be willing to try it?" He asked. "I am not usually myself when on a nocturnal hunt, be forewarned, and I have never tried it with a partner." He looked away, somewhat alarmed. He knew he could be in control on a hunt during the day, but instinct took over at night. He normally didn't show this side of himself to anyone, because the tiger part of him was far unlike any lion he knew. He would drive himself mad if he did not do something with his energy, and if he were to hunt, he could be far more ferocious in taking down prey than what would be expected. He feared he might indirectly hurt Layla, and he had to keep much of his restlessness locked away by sheer force of will. "I can sometimes be too vicious in taking down prey than what is needed." He murmured.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:12 pm

"I'll come. Everything will be alright. It's going to be a beautiful night and I can stay up and hunt with you. I'm not worried" she added, tilting her head slightly to the side and smiled. She wasn't worried about Gamba's surprise viciousness, to her everything was at peace for the moment and she knew that she'd be okay. She had confidence that he wouldn't hurt her.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 1:39 pm

"Okay, then, but we should probably tell someone so nobody panics if they see that we have gone missing." Gamba said. This was a sort of tradition that he was familiar with, even when he had lived among hyenas. You always told someone when you were leaving camp, so they knew where you were. They only had a reason to worry if you mysteriously went missing, and were gone longer than the time you said you would be. It was a good way to keep track of things, and he was sure that the Sunset Pride would likely do this as well.

In the distance, a stray breeze carried a scent into the nostrils of a lone white lion as he slept, concealed by the low-hanging branches of a bush. A dark brown eye, seeming black against his fur, opened slowly as the smell registered. A memory came back to him, emerging as though from a grey mist. Night was coming, and soon, the hunt would begin. Gamba... the lion thought. What are you doing here...? He had thought the tiglon had left, allowing him to tend to his own business, but now, his adversary had returned, he was sure of it. The scent of many more lions also came, but none like him. So, you have found a Pride after all? He might have laughed, had he not hated him so much, My luck, now I have an entire pride that will now pester me. With this thought in mind, Ammon, the Atlas Lion, rose to his paws.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Layla nodded and looked up to see Sira walking into the cave. "Sira! Me and Gamba are going to go hunting for a little bit!" she shouted. Sira nodded. "Alright, just don't be gone too late, we have a big day tomorrow" she said and finally entered the cave.

"So, are you ready?" Layla asked, turning to Gamba.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Gamba nodded, "Okay, then, let's go. I suspect we can take down a bongo. They live in the woods, and have extremely bright red pelts, with white stripes. They're different than a gazelle, but they look sort of similar. They're nocturnal, so we should be able to find them at this time." With this, he started to pad off into the trees, pricking his ears for any sound that might indicate prey. Already, there came the cries of bushbabies and other night time creatures. In Ethiopia, the forest was very much alive, and only those who could see it at night were fully aware of just how many things made their home in it.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Layla followed Gamba into the woods, transforming into one who was aware of everything around her. She stalked in the dirt looking for prey and ensured that she would find some. She was smart and she'd hunt until the night was out. She followed Gamba, letting him lead her. She wondered what tonight would bring for the two of them. It was still a bit awkward for her considering her recent out-pour of emotions, nevertheless she was coming back from it.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 pm

As they went deeper into the woods, Gamba's stride slowed and he lowered his head, taking on a stance for stalking, as he heard the sounds of an animal close by. He crept closer, to get a look at the targeted prey in question. It's build was like an antelope, and it had long, spiraling horns. It's greyish fur was patterned with white stripes. It was what was considered to be a Lesser Kudu, a creature similar to the Greater species of the same name, but much smaller. It made sense, the Kudu was largely active at dawn and dusk, and this one was grazing on the lush green leaves in the forest. He looked over at Layla and nodded, not wanting to speak and alert the prey. With this, he began to slowly circle around to the other side, so that he and Layla would have it surrounded. They would have to be careful, though. Layla had most certainly never hunted this species before, and she would not yet be aware of the amazing height the creatures could jump, or the blazing speed they could have in an open area. It was best to surprise it.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 4:02 am

Layla crouched into the grass and nodded, surrounding the prey. The grass tingled up against her, the nightly breeze in her face. She awaited Gamba's next signal.

---

Snake sat under a long branched tree licking his arm which had been fractured. He wanted to kill Gamba for this, and since none of the sons knew much about how to fix bone fractures, it didn't get any better. Swelling had begun as well as terrible pains. The infection was starting.

"Serves you right" Var said sitting across from him. "For what you've done"
"I'm going to kill that tiglon, Jali, Sira, Mira, Kal, all of them! And everyone they love!" Var shook his head. "Oh father..."
"Shh!" Snake said, Var silenced. "Do you smell that?" he asked. Var sniffed the air. "A tiglon... smells like the one that broke your wrist. He's with someone too..." Snake stood up. "Go get one of your brothers and come with me!" he whispered. "No, father, I can't do this anymore"

Snake growled and took off into the bushes. A few moments later, he peered out of a few leaves over a small hill overlooking the bowl that Gamba and Layla were standing in. Barcal and Nithili were with Snake.

"Looks like a mate" Nithili said glaring out of the bushes, keeping his voice very low. Nithili had an ugly white scar across the right side of his face and one of his eyes was an ugly blue, blindness in the right eye, though he could still see slight blurs from it. "Shall we strike?"

"Of course not! Not yet! Too soon" Snake said looking down at them again.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Gamba flicked his tail and gave a sharp growl, which was meant to be the signal. He then charged out of the bushes towards the Kudu, which promptly looked in his direction and jumped away, clearing an amazing amount of distance, although it was now heading towards Layla. When it saw her, it tried to veer off course, but Gamba jumped in its way, and it ran right into his claws. He used his weight to pin down its head, but this was all he could do to prevent it from attacking with its horns. "Now! Layla, strike its neck!" He called, although his voice was much harsher than normal, not that it was unexpected. The Kudu was struggling very hard to get away, but with a heavy tiglon holding it down, all it could do was buck its legs.

Ammon had quickly found where Gamba and Layla were, the Kudu's panicked cries were easy to follow, as was the scent. He had not expected Gamba to be hunting alongside a lioness. He was sure the lion pride he was with had struggled to accept him, and so he had thought he would hunt alone, as he used to. Although it was irritating to know that the tiglon had returned with an entire group of lions, he could not help but feel a certain sense of happiness for him. He had spent a long time looking for a place to call home. Realizing he was letting his thoughts stray in a positive direction regarding Gamba, Ammon forced the thoughts back. He was an adversary, a rival, and competition for prey. If he wanted to, he could have gone in and stolen the Kudu once they had killed it, but he was too proud of his own power to eat anything he himself had not killed. He did not need friends or allies to assist him, and Gamba still refused to believe the white lion's ideas.

Ammon thought he smelled other lions, not bearing the scent of Gamba's new pride, which he would sooner or later have to find out the name. There was also a sour smell with them, recognized only as the stench of infection, a bad one, if he was correct. He was certain these lions were of no threat to him. Being exactly three feet longer than even the largest normal lion, and standing almost a third taller, the white lion's size was enough to discourage a challenge. As an Atlas Lion, Ammon was naturally very large, and his species had the strength to survive in a solitary fashion. However, Gamba, being part tiger, was big enough to almost be the same size as Ammon, although at the shoulder he was not nearly as tall, and he was slightly shorter in length from nose to tail. This angered Ammon, for whatever reason, because the two of them were enemies, although Gamba insisted on saying he was a brother and a friend. Wondering what would happen next, the white lion decided to keep watching, and maybe try to speak to them after they finished killing the Kudu. There was no doubt that it would not survive. Gamba had it in a headlock, and even if the flailing legs of the animal were to kick the lioness away, the tiglon could still snap its neck, or crush its skull with a blow from his paw.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt
Page 12 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next