Roleplex
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplex is a place to make stories and collaborate with other writers in new ways of writing

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Kyra looked between Var and Jali, seeming to ponder the answers, "Well, first, no, tree climbing isn't a sport, it's a way of life, and second, are you insane?" The last part she directed at Jali, "I don't even know you people, and you think I came to ask to join your pride? Sure, I trust Gamba, but how do I know you're not a bunch of raving lunatics? I'm sorry, but unless there's a very tall tree with thick branches to sleep in close by, I'm not staying. I don't plan on sleeping on the ground where every predator in the land can get me. I've been perfectly fine living on my own, and I don't need any help."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Transvestite Administrator
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Var rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he replied. He glanced over at Jali. "I'm going hunting." The king nodded. Jali then turned to Kyra. "I can assure you we're not lunatics. Though, I guess you don't know that until you meet us. But I find a loving pride with children to feed and caring, loving lions to be very opposite that. I was just wondering if you needed a place to stay, since I'm nice to people like that, and--"

"Jali," Sira cut him off before he said something stubborn. She could tell he was getting into that area. "Come on, we should probably visit Mira and Kal" she said and the two walked off. Var took a glance at Gamba and Layla. "You guys are welcome to come if you like, if you need me I'll be out there," he said and then began walking into the woods.

Layla was silent but then spoke to Kyra. "Don't worry, Kyra. There's not many predators inside our camp. Not many big animals stray into a camp of a very large pride of lions."
Back to top Go down
http://darklord979.deviantart.com/
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 pm

Kyra thought for a moment, "Well, I guess I might have been a little harsh..." She said, after awhile, although her tone was almost grudging, as though she hated to say it. "But seriously, your king should be careful who he invites into his camp. I know I'm a bit strange, but there are some real weirdos running around you don't want to deal with. Plus, I wasn't joking about the tree, I really don't like sleeping on the ground." she affirmed. Gamba chose this time to speak. It was revealed that while Layla had spoken to the young lioness, he had walked a short distance and fetched some Coriander, "Kyra, there are plenty of large trees here for you to sleep in, if you choose to stay. There's even a good one next to the lake that I imagine will have a lovely view. If you choose to stay here, I won't let anyone force you to sleep in a den on the ground." He then grabbed her paw before she could protest, and started easing the herbal paste into her cut. "Besides, with all this falling, you have me feeling a bit paranoid for your safety. I want to make sure I can keep a close eye on you."

Kyra didn't snatch her paw away, and thought a bit more, "Well, if it's a good tree, then I'll take you up on the offer. I still get to hunt birds, right?" She asked. Gamba nodded, but did not turn his attention away from cleaning her wound, "Certainly, if you want to hunt birds, who can tell you otherwise? It's not like a lot of lions here would be able to stop you." The grey lioness' tail flicked with pleasure, "I like this idea, okay, then. You're on." Gamba finished cleaning the wound, "Excellent, then." He said.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 5:44 pm

"Jali probably didn't see you as a threat. But anyways, welcome to our camp. I'm going to go hunting with Var. Do you guys want to come?" Layla asked. She had confirmed that Kyra was not a bad lioness and a friend of Gamba. She had decided long ago that any friend of Gamba's was a friend of hers.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySat May 04, 2013 12:41 am

Kyra flexed her paws, "Well, okay, then, land or sky?" She asked, as though Layla would know what she was talking about. In reality, her question was very strange, and Gamba was the only one present who know what she meant. "Land, Kyra." Gamba answered her, before turning to Layla, "Are you sure you're up to it? You're still recovering from yesterday, I don't want you to get hurt." Meanwhile, Kyra had started to fidget, hopping between her paws, "Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go already! We haven't got all day!" With this, she ran off after Var, leaving Gamba and Layla behind without any second thought, oblivious to what had just happened. Gamba stared after her, "That girl could never hold still." He muttered, before turning back to Layla, waiting for her response.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 6:58 pm

"I'll be fine, I won't go too fast. Lets go" Layla said as she followed Kyra and Var into the woods, ever so anxious to learn more about this girl who had sparked interest in Layla. She wondered about her origin and her life story. Most people she knew that had a history with Gamba had a story to tell.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Kyra caught up with Var quite easily, so quickly, in fact, that she kept dashing past him and was forced to slow down so everyone else could catch up. Although she wasn't going to say anything, considering they had to be quiet with a hunt, it was obvious she didn't enjoy having to slow down. Whenever she had to wait, she paced between her paws, flicking her tail in an agitated manner. Her behavior reminded most creatures of an excited kudu, as even the small hops on her paws were surprisingly large and energetic, nothing like the usual calm, laid back manner of a lion. Kyra was obviously good at jumping, as the muscles in her body were formed in such a manner that suggested she did it quite often. It was easy to tell why, as even though most lionesses could climb trees, Kyra did it all the time, rather than on rare occasions. She was so used to trees that she slept in them like a leopard, and was repulsed by sleeping on the ground in a den. After awhile, when she was once more waiting ahead of everyone else, she seemed to finally try to make everyone speed up, "Come on, hurry up, people!" She muttered.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySat May 18, 2013 10:30 pm

"We're coming!" Layla giggled as she tried to catch up without going too fast. She slugged back not far behind Gamba while Var was running up with Kyra. "We should probably wait for them. Layla got in a nasty fight fight last night," Var suggested. He stopped and stretched his massive muscles while he waited. It was always good to stretch before hunting.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:36 am

"Well, duh, I think I know bite and claw marks when I see them, but I don't really know what happened, so I thought it would be better not to ask and try to ignore them." Kyra said, flicking her tail, "However, as far as I can see, Gamba will keep his pace so she's not left all by herself, and two of us are capable of going ahead and finding something. If someone doesn't hurry up, I'm going to leave all of you in my dust and make the first kill faster than a cheetah running from a hippo. We're burning daylight, here, and this is the first land hunt I've had in a long time. I don't want to mess this up." When she mentioned a land hunt, it was a bit vague at first, but upon pondering her words, it became clear she meant hunting large prey on the ground, rather than birds hiding in the trees.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 10:35 pm

"Hey guys, we're gonna go on ahead 'Kay?" Var called back.
"Go on! Me and Gamba will go a different place anyways" Layla said. "Come on, this way Gamba" she said making a left turn.

As they trailed along, not yet into the place where prey dwelled, Var worked up small talk. "So, tell me more about yourself Kyra. Where do you come from? What's your life like?"
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Kyra's ears flattened as she gave a response, "Well, I don't know if Gamba told you this, but Ethiopian lions have a different way of organizing their prides than lions that came from Kenya. It might take a bit of explaining. You see, there's always the initial pride, and normally, a single ruling family that establishes the king and queen. In Ethiopia, we have things even more confusing. In addition to the Royal Lineage, we have the Basic Warriors, which are just average lions, and then we have Clan Warriors." She flicked her tail as she spoke to emphasize the point, "There's a difference between Basic Warriors and Clan Warriors, and it has everything to deal with who your father and mother were, and how you resembled them when you were born. So, in addition to the entire pride being led by a king, you also have little clans that are headed by Elders, which are typically male lions that are at least 120 moons of age, and who are also members of the clan." She took a breath, "Yeah, getting a headache already, but that's the worst of it over, so it'll go away in a minute."

She continued, "So, anyway, how a clan starts. A King finds some characteristic or ability one of his warriors possesses and decides to use that warrior to create a clan. That warrior becomes the first ancestor of the clan, and the first Elder, regardless of his age. Unfortunately, because the clan is too small when it starts, and because who the parents are matters greatly, the King for the first few generations selects who the Clan Warrior's mate will be. It usually results in an empty relationship, but the King doesn't care, so long as the cubs have the desired traits. Any cubs that lacked them were tossed aside and regarded as Basic Warriors, if the King in question wasn't ruthless enough to kill them at birth." She suddenly blinked several times, before pressing on. "Over time, the specific trait that the original King wanted to cultivate grows more and more apparent as the Clan's Lineage grows bigger, and the older the lineage is, and the more pure the trait, the more valuable the Warriors that belong to it become. Often, you find Prides who value the lineage of their Clans more than their territory, which leads to many disputes and uncomfortable conflicts I'd rather not tell you about now."

Kyra sighed, "Yes, this is really weird to talk about, but I've heard it a million times before, I grew up around it. At any rate, Clan Warriors were often considered better than Basic Warriors, and within the clan itself, the warriors with the most prominent of the desired trait were considered superior to those with lesser traits, because they were considered to be purer, even though two lions could be brothers from the same litter, and then be on opposite ends of the spectrum. Besides the point, Clan Lions often had some skill normal lions didn't posses. In my case, I came from the Bluesky Clan, which focused on creating warriors that had good eyesight. It wasn't until a long time after the clan was created that they started trying to give us grey fur and blue eyes. That's sort of how you tell how old a clan is, the oldest clans have lions with their own unique appearance." She shook her head, "Issue is, that over time, weird stuff happens to Clan Warriors. They start getting physical problems, say a cub winds up being born with a missing paw, or cross-eyes, or no voice. Sometimes the problem is mental, and that's when bad stuff happens. Gamba told me it was because of severe inbreeding, we started having problems."

She flicked her tail, "Well, at any rate, a lot of wars between prides wind up starting because of clans. You see, Clan Warriors literally have no control over who their mate will be, that's decided for them by the Elders and the King. What happens is, when you get long lineage with special abilities, other prides want to add those abilities to their own clans. There were a lot of thwarted cub kidnappings when I was born, where an enemy pride tries to steal Bluesky Cubs and then trick them into thinking they had been born members of their own pride, so that should those cubs ever have children, they would be a member of that pride that stole the parent. If we weren't valuable enough, when a pride tries to surrender so the war doesn't get everyone killed, Clan Warriors wind up as bargaining chips."

She tensed her paws slightly, "How I figure into all of this is, my pride and another enemy pride killed each other in a vendetta, and I'm pretty much the only survivor. Once again, someone from the enemy pride tried to steal a Bluesky Cub, and that someone was the firstborn son of the king, who got killed when he was caught. It's a terrible thing that happens, and I pretty much grew up being raised by a bunch of different people. Before Gamba came along, the truth is that Ammon watched me instead."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Var looked over at her. His ears stood up. "Ammon? That white lion that Gamba hates? The one that caught my brother?" he asked. He was interested in Ammon. He didn't like the lion knowing that he was an adversary of Gamba, yet he loved him for catching Barcal before he could run away and make some new pride then come back with an army of animals that had plans to get the Sunset Pride back for stupid things.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:11 pm

Kyra looked at Var with an amused expression, "He's pretty hard to figure out, huh?" There was something teasing about the question, as though she knew something he did not. As quickly as the humor had been there, it vanished, and Kyra suddenly became serious. "Ammon isn't as bad as everyone thinks he is. He's just very hard to understand, unless you know the whole story." Her tail stopped flicking, and she had a distant look on her face, "Ammon, even in comparison to you, Var, has a very troubled past. Like me, he came from a pride that had a very old clan in it. The Starclimb Pride was home of the Whitestrike Clan. Also like me, his pride and clan are all but extinct, he is the sole survivor among them."

She shook her head solemnly, "Ammon was a cub born under different circumstances than the rest of the Whitestrike lions. His clan was already in an extinction spiral, severe inbreeding was causing mental problems in most of the lions, and nobody even took notice, because physically, nothing was wrong with them. Worse, the Starclimb Pride was the last pride consisting exclusively of Atlas lions, the largest, and most feared breed of lion that existed naturally. There used to be many of them, but humans from up north would capture them, and send them to an arena far away, where they were tortured and turned into maddened beasts. So many lions were captured by these strange, white-skinned humans, that their numbers dwindled until few were left. So, the Whitestrike Clan, and the Starclimb Pride, as a whole, began to suffer, as there was no other Atlas Lions to accept into their ranks, to keep the lineage clean. Clan lions or not, the entire Pride was filled with purists who did not want to accept non-Atlas lions." Kyra was painting a scenario where a group of powerful lions were being driven to extinction, who were too stubborn to take the only option that would prevent it.

"At any rate, at the time, Ammon's father was meant to be the next elder of the clan, a somewhat older lion, but still capable of having children. The situation surrounding Ammon's birth, at any rate, was unpleasant. Ammon's father, suffering a mental disorder of his own that was not at the time apparent, was secretly romancing a lioness who was the King's daughter. She was born by illegitimate means, and was only half-Atlas, the other half was not. They permitted her to live, because she was the King's child, but she was forbidden to have a mate, and cruelly treated, because she was not considered pure." Kyra shook her head at this, apparently pitying the poor lioness' blight. "She was an older lioness, when this affair began, and without even knowing the horrors that could result, fell in love with the Clan Warrior, as no one else had been so charming and sweet."

Kyra's ears flattened, "At any rate, it all changed when the lioness discovered she was pregnant. Ammon's father, seeking to hide what he had done, hid the lioness as the forbidden cub grew in her womb, stealing her away from the pride, with the excuse that he was going to go look for a non-atlas pride who would take her in, and support her in her old age. The King and Queen both wanted her gone, so they permitted this, oblivious to what actually happened. They would never know, because to search for a pride can take many moons. When he had her alone, Ammon's father showed his true colors. He kept her trapped in a den, and said horrible things to her. He brought her food and water, enough so that she remained healthy, but scarred her mind and heart with his words. He treated her as though everything were her fault, but it was his, for giving her hope that maybe someone would care about her. When Ammon was born, and there was no longer a risk of miscarriage as a result of it, Ammon's father began to brutally beat the lioness, enough to injure her, but not enough to kill. Still, he gave her food and drink, so that she could nurse her cub until he was weaned."

Kyra's eyes narrowed with hatred at the thought of the lion who was Ammon's father, "Finally, when Ammon was old enough to eat solid food, his mother's troubles were over, and though I feel happy for her, and her final escape from the horrors of this world, the story is still terrible. Right before his very eyes, Ammon saw his father kill his mother." She took a shaky breath, as though it angered her to think about it. "Ammon's mother, despite all the torment, had loved Ammon with all her heart, and Ammon loved her, too. I cannot begin to imagine, what it is like, to see someone so close to you, viciously murdered right before you."

Kyra continued, "After this, Ammon's father dragged his illegitimate son, child of an illegitimate daughter of the king, all the way back to the Starclimb Pride and the Whitestrike Clan, now heaping emotional and psychological abuse upon his son. Once he returned, he located a hidden nursery den, where another Clan Lioness, who had become pregnant around the same time as Ammon's mother, was rearing her cubs. Ammon's father threatened the lioness and her cubs, saying that if she did not take in Ammon, and say he was hers, he would kill both her, and all her children. Nobody would notice one extra cub, as the nursery was hidden to protect the Clan lioness inside from having her cubs stolen by another pride. The cubs were not counted until they exited the nursery. Terrified, the mother accepted Ammon and said he was her son, but because at birth, he was the same color as a normal cub, used it as an excuse to abuse him. Ammon's adoptive brothers and sisters cruelly treated him, as well, because they were white, when they were born, and thus superior."

Kyra just shook her head, "Ammon grew up in this mess, where every lion he met treated him with deep hatred, as though he were not even a lion, but something lesser than a lion, as though he were a depraved thing that they only kept alive out of the goodness of their hearts, but felt utter disgust for doing so. It had been many moons, since a Whitestrike Lion had not been born white. The burden of his mother's torment and despair had now fallen upon her son, who was forced to mature at a rate twice as fast as his adoptive siblings. If his brother had to bring down one Kudu to prove his strength, Ammon had to bring down two. If his siblings swam across a river, Ammon had to swim from the very basin all the way to the source it came from. He had to do impossible things, to prove he was worthy of the clan, and to prove to himself that he was better than his father ever was. Ammon developed his skills, determined to become the greatest Clan Warrior that had ever lived, this drive fueled by hatred and pain. The torment did not lessen, even when his fur began to grow paler as he aged. By the time his pelt was pure white, the madness of his clan became horribly obvious. Lions were struck with fits of madness, seizing up and unable to control tremors that occurred at odd intervals. Soon, the entire pride and clan was filled with deterioration, but through it all, Ammon never showed any sign of something being wrong with him. He was spared, you see, his mother now saved him, because she was not inbred like any other lion in the pride."

Kyra's tail flicked, "The day that the Pride and Clan fell, was the day that Ammon was set free from this. A lion the same age as we are now, he watched as a rabies epidemic spread like wildfire throughout the last of the Atlas Lions. In their poor mental states, the lions opted to fight the infected, all of them getting bit, and catching the disease, which finally killed most of them in the end. Ammon, still having his common sense, fled, and was spared. From then on, he lead a solitary life. For all those moons, he has been living the same way he is living today, the last representative of a once-great pride of lions, and one of the most powerful clans in history."

Kyra looked at Var, a sad look on her face, "Ammon must seem horrible, to you. He threatens everyone constantly, and insults them, even if they never did anything to really deserve it. He's egocentric and harsh, and he doesn't like anything that involves working with others." She shook her head, "You have to understand, though, his upbringing was warped and twisted, he never enjoyed being a cub. Others talk about having happy memories as cubs, but if you bring that up with him, he'll just glare at you. Ammon was an adult before his time, and everything he has ever done, he has done alone. He never had anyone to help him, and now, he doesn't willingly accept it. He's proud of his accomplishments, and doesn't think he needs anyone to assist him. If you can't prove your worth to him, he's not going to treat you with any respect. He is the way he is, because of the way he was raised. He doesn't let any vulnerability show. If he got injured, and Gamba had herbal remedies to help mend wounds, Ammon would reject his help and find the herbs himself, and tend to his own wounds, even if it was difficult. It might sound ridiculous, but it really happened, once, and to Ammon, accepting help makes him look weak."

Kyra's paws dug into the earth, "Ammon is a powerful lion, but make no mistake, he's not as cold and heartless as he acts. He wants you to think that, because he doesn't want you trying to help him. He doesn't want the Sunset Pride offering friendship, he's for the most part disconnected to the concept, because he's never had a real friend in all his life. Gamba is his rival, and the closest thing to a friend he has, and he still thinks for all his power that Gamba is weak for believing in teamwork and friendship." Her eyes narrowed, "Deep down, though, beneath that stony exterior, he's alone. He doesn't have friends, and even for him, it hurts not to let someone else know your inner thoughts. Deep down, he's a good lion, he has a sense of honor and justice. He would never let someone hurt a cub or a lioness, and he expects criminals to face punishment for their crimes. Even when he looked after me, and I thought he was being mean, he was just trying to prepare me for being on my own. I did a lot of things that when I look back would have made him worried sick. He might act like he doesn't care about anyone but himself, but that's not true. He does care, he just doesn't want anyone to know it."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 pm

"That's... that's terrible. That's the saddest thing I've ever heard, literally. I... I never didn't like Ammon, I actually like him a lot for catching my brother before he could get away and do anything else to Sunset Pride. Barcal deserved what he got. The only thing that's ever made me question Ammon is Gamba's rivalry with him. I've always trusted Gamba's word since I met him. I didn't think that... I just didn't expect that. I'm glad you told me this, it's shaping my opinion of the white lion" Var said looking at the grayish morning sky. A breeze blew through his smooth black mane. His green eyes seemed glossy in the gray sunlight. He looked back at Kyra.

"Nobody should ever have to face something like that. Never. I thought my history was the worst in the area, I was really wrong. My dad was a female killer and a very lustful person. He might have forced his kids to eat his mates when he was done with them, but that's not half as bad as that. Rabies... I've seen it once before. Throughout my life I've been the only one among my brothers that's well... good-spirited I'll say. I didn't like what my father made us to do to people. I had a friend that I met when dad was asleep. His name was Chilar. I don't know what happened that day. But I found him fighting off this hyena. He killed the hyena when I arrived but he was already suffering wounds. He told me it had rabies, he was a bit like Gamba. But he knew about diseases more than herbs. Chilar died. I sat with him as long as I could. When he turned... I had to jump up in a tree and watch him from above. I didn't want to leave him" he said. He scratched an itch on the side of his face. He sighed with a deep and mournful gaze in his eyes.

"Ammon was wise to flee. Rabies is terrible. That's what my father was treated with when Jali caught him. He and Urathi were sent into a bat-filled chasm for the final blow that would end dad's offenses to this pride. Honestly, I couldn't have been happier when I heard my dad was dead. But in another way... I was a little sad, but I don't know why. I've always hated that man... that sick lion. I always suspected he was insane, that he had something wrong with him. I've always wanted to find his parents if they're still alive and see what went wrong" he added. He noticed he was getting sidetracked.

"But Ammon anyways. He seems to good to me now after all. I mean, take away all the bad stuff and he sounds like a pretty good guy. But Kyra, just do me a favor and don't tell that story to Layla. She'll be squalling for weeks" he said getting a sense of amusement mixed into his tone. "Very easily-depressed lioness. Gets on my nerves sometimes."
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2013 12:49 am

Kyra's tail flicked with amusement, "Don't worry, I think it'd upset Gamba if I did that, and he's a bit of a nag sometimes. Actually, he and Ammon have a lot in common, social skills set aside. You should have seen what it was like when they were watching me, they're both horrible." She started to make mock versions of the two scolding her. There was very little distinction between the two, "'Kyra! Get down from that tree!' 'No, Kyra, stay away from that bush!' 'Kyra, get away from there, that's nightshade, do you want to die from poisoning?'" She stopped, and purred at the thought, "Truth be known, those two could have been brothers. Why do you think I said Gamba was the closest thing Ammon had to a friend? Their rivalry is pretty brutal, I'll admit, but no matter how much they fight or argue, they don't actually want to kill one another. They're equals in strength, and if anything, they fight so they can stay sharp. Ammon doesn't like people threatening Gamba, and in reality, I think he's happy for him, he finally found a pride to call home, and he has others like Layla to care about. You know, if Gamba wasn't here to be his rival, then who would help Ammon with his battle training? They might look like they hate one another, but they don't." She purred again at this.

She then seemed to reflect back on something, a happier memory, "I remember the day Ammon was teaching me how to catch fish out of a river. We were both standing at the edge, and he had just scooped out a fish with a lightning-quick swipe of his paw, and then tossed it onto the ground. He was trying to show me the technique, but he had to keep scolding me because there were all these butterflies I wanted to chase, or I wasn't paying attention. I was impatient too, finally, I convinced him to let me try it, and when I finally scooped a fish out myself, it jumped off of my paw, and swatted me in the face with its tail before falling back into the water. I must have looked surprised, because Ammon just purred at it, and I remember, he told me, 'Not nearly as easy as it looks, now does it?'" Kyra's tail flicked, and she shook her head, "It took me forever to realize that was the first time I had ever heard him purr at anything. He never thought anything was funny. I remember it so clearly, because that was so unexpected. At the time, I got mad because he was purring at me, but now that's probably the best memory I ever had of him. I admit, I drive people crazy, but Ammon must have cared a lot, because even after I started snapping at him, he still tried to show me how to fish." Kyra's face had a sentimental look about it, "It's only after the fact, that you realize he was really sacrificing a lot, taking in a cub who he didn't even know."

Kyra thought again, "I had fun times with Gamba, too. Ammon taught me skills needed for survival, and Gamba taught me how to respect the world around me, how the spirits made each little thing, even ticks and flies, and how each one had its own little role. He told me that at the very top of some tree somewhere, some little bug is living his life, and maybe it has adventures of its own that we're oblivious to. He showed me a dead leaf, and when the dead leaf flew away, he told me it was actually a kind of moth. He told me that every little thing was special." Her tail flicked, "He taught me how to respect other creatures, even the prey we were hunting, because they all had their own lives, their own important role. He told me not to kill something, unless I was hunting, or unless I was being attacked. He told me life was a precious gift, and so was all the friends you made along the way. He told me there was nothing wrong with having friends to help you, because it was a wonderful feeling, when you could help them, too. When I was an older cub, he would let me play. He wasn't always serious, he wanted me to have fun, too."

She shook her head, a happy look on her face, "They were both really good, but Ammon was more like a father to me. Gamba could have been my uncle. What I wish now, though, is that maybe someday, Ammon will give friendship and teamwork a chance. If he was a member of the Sunset Pride, if he fought alongside Gamba, and all the lions with him, I would love to see that, because I think if he gave it a chance, he could do good things. Ammon needs to have something to stand for, more than just a rivalry with Gamba, or himself. I think if he could learn to be more open with people, everyone would like him. He really does believe in doing the right thing, but he needs to belong. Everyone does, and I think Ammon wants to be friends, but doesn't know how."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySat Jul 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Var nodded. "You're probably right. If he'd one day join Sunset Pride, everything would change for him. I just got here last night and I already fell like a new person. This pride somehow washes away all of your past terrors. I don't feel like the squabbling son that I once was. I feel like I am appreciated here, loved here, wanted here. And I'm sure Ammon would feel the same" Var said.
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Kyra's ears flattened, "The issue is, that because of how he was raised, Ammon doesn't trust the judgement of another person. He does not desire to live in a Pride, because the one he lived in treated him as though he were inferior, and he worked to exceed the expectations of his superiors, not the standards set for a lion of his rank. He is driven by the need to be the best that his kind left behind, because he feels great shame regarding his origin, and the Starclimb Pride as a whole. He has learned from his twisted family that the viewpoint of someone other than him is wrong, and therefore he sees his own perception of a situation as more important than someone else'. Gamba has been trying for a long time to convince Ammon to place his faith in someone else, but because Ammon is egocentric, he sees Gamba's reasoning as inferior."

Her tail flicked, "Truth be told, the only way you're going to get Ammon to listen to what you have to say is to force him to hear and obey. The only way Gamba has ever been able to crack the wall Ammon has built around himself is to fight him, and beat him into submission so that he has no other option. Gamba and Ammon once fought together to defend a pack of wolves from an invasion of baboons which we have a shaky peace with now, but even though both of them fought, Ammon still believes that it was his power that defeated the enemy, and not what resulted when he combined his strength with that of Gamba and the pack." Kyra looked at Var, and shook her head, "If you want to convince Ammon to join the Sunset Pride, you can't try to convince him using your own viewpoint. You have to show him a reason through his own viewpoint, and I can assure you, the one way it could work would be extremely difficult."

Her eyes had a thoughtful look at a memory, "The wolf pack gained his trust when Ammon next fought Gamba. He won the fight, but both he and Gamba were hurt, badly enough where they needed medical attention. While Gamba readily accepted their help, which they were willing to give in return for the battle against the baboons, Ammon tried to reject it, because of the whole issue of not wanting to be vulnerable that he never talks about. Of course, he was too badly injured to do anything to stop them, so they took him (Against his will, might I add) and forced him to stay in a den next to that of the Alpha Female and accept the medical help. He was furious that they weren't listening to him, and he was probably expecting someone to start insulting him, but that never happened. They were very nice, despite the fact that he was throwing fits every time they came in to place medical herbs on his wounds. After a few days, he finally relaxed, and apologized to the wolves for his behavior. After that, he regularly stopped by the pack's camp to socialize a little bit. He still does that to this day, even though the old Alpha Female died in a terrible accident in a cave involving rabid bats. They were best friends, really, I think she reminded Ammon of his mother, a little bit."

Kyra's tail stopped flicking, and her ears went back, at the sadness, "Gamba knew the Alpha Female, too, and was there when she died. If he showed your King where to throw your brother and your father to be punished, he probably showed them where she got bit. Gamba took it the hardest, but Ammon was horribly upset, too, even though he never showed it. He goes all quiet whenever he walks past her old den, and I think maybe he wishes he could have done something to prevent it, even though he didn't know until she was already gone." Her eyes snapped back to focus, "Okay, drifting away from that topic, I don't want to tell one sad story after another, you probably already heard it."

She looked Var in the eye, "At any rate, if you want Ammon to join the Sunset Pride, you're just going to have to let him fight Gamba, no interference or help from other lions. When it's over, as it always is in the end, you're going to have to force him to stay in your camp while he heals, because so far, that's the only thing that has ever really had any effect on him."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Var sighed. "Why can't people just all get along? I don't know. I don't want to put Gamba through that. I want both Ammon and Gamba both to be happy. I respect them both. But I don't want them fighting if it means they both can stay in this pride... I don't know. Maybe we could see Gamba's opinion on this after all of this?" Var asked. "Now the thing with the alpha wolf. Yeah, I heard. Gamba told Layla and she's been crying all morning--just her easy depression. But anyways. I can see why the two of them are the way they are. Their past... it's had such an impact on them. I hate that. I want life to be free, without these events that force your personality to do things it didn't have to do. A personality should form on its own in a calm life, without hands that force it. That cave that my father was taken to... to me it's been a symbol of release, but also a symbol of death and tragedy. If only my father and brother were the only ones taken to that cave... life would be so much better" Var said.

He drank from a shallow creek that they had walked next to. He lapped up the crystal waters and rose back. His chin was wet, a few droplets hit the dirt below him. He whipped his mouth with his paw and looked back at Kyra.

"You seem pretty smart. You'll do good. I hope we all do. For Spirit World's sake, we can't handle any more psychotic lions trying to kill everyone. I'm still wondering if my uncle is going to track me down. I don't know if he's what my father made him sound like, but you never know"
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyTue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Kyra looked at Var for a moment, blinking with surprise, before suddenly purring very loudly, as though at some hilarious thought, “Ah, if your uncle tries to track you down all by himself and perform some weird stunt, I’ll go fetch my little brother, he’ll teach him a lesson he won’t soon forget!” She flattened one ear, and pricked up the other, “Well, he’s not actually my brother, we’re not related at all, he’s really just this crazy, messed-up lion I ran into who’s almost the same age as me. Either he’s insane, or he’s so maddeningly brilliant that he’s beyond the understanding or comprehension of average creatures. He might be both, I don’t exactly know, either way, he’s really weird.” Her tail flicked at the thought. “Regardless, we chose to be siblings instead of friends, and he’s actually a Lost lion.”

Kyra seemed to think again, “Wait, I didn’t tell you about Lost lions, did I?” She asked, but didn’t give Var time to respond, “Lost lions are what happens when Clan Lions have a runt in a litter of cubs they don’t think will survive. It doesn’t matter how many desired traits they display, if a cub is too small at birth, it won’t be able to fight off the siblings to nurse. They usually starve to death, that’s typical. Well, parents don’t like seeing that, so they just wander into the woods and leave the cub there to die. Cruel, I know, but most lions do that because the cub is likely to die, even if they choose to keep it.” She flicked her tail, her bright blue eyes glinting. “Now here’s the ‘revenge’ part of it. Sometimes, those cubs turn out to be stronger in ways average lions aren’t. Runts aren’t super strong when they’re little, but they can catch up. In the meantime, they sometimes survive by outwitting their enemies, setting traps to kill prey instead of just hunting it down. They remind me a lot of humans, using things other than their teeth and claws to kill. At any rate, an abandoned runt that survives is called a Lost lion, for whatever reason.”

She had a devilish look on her face, “It just so happens that my brother Coglon is probably the most intelligent Lost lion you’ll ever meet. Ironically, he came from the clan that was part of the pride that my own was at war with. Their clan was…I think it was the Darkstalk Clan. They were lions created for the sole purpose of stealth, they have these delicate, fuzzy paws and smaller statures that make them swift and silent. Plus, they have these weird markings, on top of it all. Combine that with an already small and extremely smart Lost lion, and you have something fearsome, but in a way different than brute strength and power. You have something that can turn your own power against you.”
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 2:41 pm

"Sounds like quite the lion. In these times, having a sibling is always I hope Sunset Pride doesn't do anything like that to their lions. But by my Uncle, I didn't mean he's out to get me. In fact I think he's a good person. My father just told us awful stories about him. But then again, he told terrible things about everyone. He said that his parents 'abused and neglected him.' I didn't believe it for a moment. My Uncle Nail has a story behind his name. A few days after he was born, he was captured by humans and was going to be taken to a place where they display animal to other humans. But his dad went after the metal monster that the humans were driving in. He won back the cub. When my uncle was recovered, he had a nail from the wooden box he was in in his mouth. My grandmother decided to name him Nail for it" said Var. He flicked his tail. "Kinda like the way my dad was named. The second day he was born, a huge snake got their den and tried to eat him. But his mother killed it. She named him Snake after that."

"In a way, I've always wondered if my grandparents and my uncle are even still alive. I've always wondered what they'd be like. I hope they'd be better than what I've seen of the family. I hope they're better than my father and my brothers. My brothers... I never liked them. I mean, I had always in a small sense, loved them. But the sense was very, very, very small. I was the oldest. Nithili was the second oldest... Honestly I can say to this day he's the one I hate the most out of the brothers..." Var went on.

"Nithili was always dad's favorite. Nithili was the cruelest among us. He enjoyed killing people while I hated doing it. When our father tried to make us eat females in a creek and become cannibals, I only pretended to eat. I couldn't do it. I was lucky to have gotten away with it. But Nithili... he ate all of the leftovers and drank up all the fallen blood. Nithili always bullied me because I was the most sensitive and I was the kindest--without a doubt. Urathi was always Nithili's "side-kick" and helped him in his taunts at times. But in actuality even he hated Nithili. Barcal wasn't as bad, but he was still equally evil. He wasn't as brutal as Nithili, but he was very snotty and rude. He liked to kill things. He was the youngest" Var said blowing some of his mane out of his face.

"Snake was always proud of Nithili the most. He favored him. I hated them all. I did my best to separate myself from their ways. I wasn't like them, and I still refused to approach their ways of dealing with things. But as each day goes on, I feel like I am becoming more like my father. Every time I look at my reflection, I see my dad's because I look so much like him. It's almost as if he's staring at me, disappointed and angered. Promising me that I'm going to fail in life" Var paused for a long and quiet moment. "But anyways, on a cheerier note. My mother just had another litter of cubs last night. It should distract the pride from the things we experienced last night."
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm

Kyra's ears pricked up at this, "I know, your camp has the smell of birth about it, and then King Jali's mate cut him off when he was trying to say something. She must have been his mate, because no normal lioness would talk to him in such a way otherwise. She mentioned visiting Mira and Kal, so I supposed that she was meaning the parents of the cubs. Mira must be your mother, and Kal is her mate, and your new adoptive father." Her tail flicked, and she had an impish look on her face, "Gamba taught me lots of things you could learn just by smell. I reasoned out the rest."

Her tail suddenly fell still, as though she suddenly remembered something important. She stopped walking and looked at Var. They were now in a dark forest, filled with bushes with eerie-looking black berries, and trees that had leaves that nearly blocked out the sun. This place was shrouded in shadow, and unnerving, at best. A small, faint scent, like burning soap, filled the air, and it seemed to be coming from deeper in the trees, going up a slope, as though it were on a hill. "Wait a minute...Jali's mate is pregnant..." She muttered, before suddenly shaking her head, "No, that's true, but that's not important right now...where are we again...?" She looked around, before her ears flattened. "Var, don't say anything, be very, very quiet." She said, suddenly flattening against the ground.

Whooping sounds could be heard in the distance, and the soapy smell grew stronger, as something seemed to be heading in their direction. Soon, catches of words could be heard, "-I know I found his scent somewhere, come on, let's go meet them." Another voice, vaguely familiar, interrupted, "Hold it, the scent is old, he might have simply passed through." It was a female voice. Kyra looked up at Var and made a motion for him to get down, as three figures entered through the trees, seemingly not noticing the two lions. They were hyenas, two males, and one female. The two males looked normal, except that their pelts were grayish, instead of brown. The female, seemingly their alpha, was large, and pure black. "Zanita, I told you, I found Gamba's scent here." One of the males said to her. "Cully, we're still building our dens, we haven't yet settled in, we need to do that before we go looking for my son." Cully just shook his head, "But if we do, the trail might fade."

At the mention of Zanita's name, Kyra shot up off the ground, exclaiming, "Zanita!?" before roughly hitting her head on a branch. "Ow!" She said, more surprised than hurt. Immediately, all three hyenas stared at her. It wasn't a hostile stare, but more of one that was questioning, as though they had no clue what she was doing there.
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2013 7:55 pm

"Zanita?!" Var said looking up at the hyenas. "The one that Gamba's spoke of? You're looking for Gamba? We just split up from them. They're probably not too far behind. He's with Layla. I'm sure she'll want to meet you" he said to her. He shook his head.

"Sorry, I'm Var by the way. I just joined Sunset Pride last night. I'm... the son of Snake, they guy that Jali was trying to evade. But he's dead now, all of my brothers are. Everything's good." He lookd at Kyra. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"
Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Kyra rubbed the top of her head with her paw, before stopping, "Yeah, I'm fine, I've had worse. I was just surprised, that's all." She said. Meanwhile, the hyenas were just staring at them, as though wondering what planet they had just come from. Kyra stopped fidgeting, and turned back to the black alpha female, "I'm sorry we surprised you, I just smelled hyenas and freaked out. I didn't know it was you." Zanita gave a respectful nod, "It's quite alright, dear, you are not the first or last lioness to panic when encountering hyenas. You're lucky, though, you didn't wander into some other clan's territory." She then turned to Var, "Now, Var, you said? You need to slow down, you're rushing, when there is no need to. Yes, I am Zanita, and I am Gamba's adoptive mother, leader of the Nightstone Clan. So they call themselves the Sunset Pride now? A beautiful name, indeed, but there is no need to rush in finding Gamba or Layla if your pride is close by. If they are out hunting, then we can wait." She said, calmly.

Cully ran up to her, "But Zanita-" She cut him off, "Cully, there is no hurry. If the Sunset Pride is nearby, then Gamba and Layla will return there once they are finished hunting." The hyena leader turned back to Var, "Why not take us to the camp, instead? We are allies of the Pride, I would like to see how everyone is doing, and in turn, we would be happy to show the Sunset Pride where our new camp is, as well. It is good fortune, that it seems we live near one another, such friendships between lions and hyenas is rare."
Back to top Go down
Derkal
Derkal

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 6:03 pm

"Sorry" Var said. "Come on, I'll show you."

He padded into a small puddle, getting his paws wet. He glanced over his shoulder in wait for them and becoming curious as to what Zanita's story was. He'd heard a lot about people lately, Ammon and Gamba and Kyra. He had curiosity about Zanita and her clan.

Jali and Sira sat in the den of Kal and Mira. Mira was nursing the three new cubs while Kal sat next to her admiring them with a soft smile.

"They're adorable!" said Sira. "Two girls and a boy... have you named them yet?"

"No, not yet. We've run out of ideas. We were hoping the rest of the Pride could pitch in and help us, like they did when we first arrived here" Mira said.

"That's an interesting idea. They'll come up with all sorts of things" said Jali flicking his tail. Mira and Kal looked at each other smiling and then returning their eyes to the cubs.

"So Sira, you still haven't told us about your own soon-to-be cubs" She said with a sly grin.

Sira's nose turned bright pink, blushing. Her ears drooped slightly with the same emotions. She looked at Jali he giggled and gave her a pat on the shoulder with his paw.

"How did you know?"
"Well, it's kinda obvious. We can smell it on you. Plus you're both acting a little... different" the motherly lioness replied.

"Oh" Sira said smiling. "I told you" Jali said. She rolled her eyes. She looked at the two parents. Their glances urged her to continue. Jali gave her a nudge with his shoulder.

"Well, I found out I was pregnant... um, maybe a week ago? Was it Jali?" she asked. He thought for a moment. "I think so. When you told me, was that the same day you'd found out?"

"No. I found out three days before I was just too shy to tell you" Sira admitted.
"You can tell me anything, you know that don't you?" Jali said licking Sira's cheek. She smiled and gave a peaceful sigh. "Yes, I know. Well anyways, about a week maybe a week and a half. It was just a few days after the migration."

"Well, three months left" said Kal.
"You're cubs will be the most beautiful the pride's seen in a long time. I can't wait to see our new princes or princesses!" said Mira.

"Oh, Mira" Sira blushed. "Your cubs are the most beautiful in the pride right now, you know that."

Back to top Go down
ViperaUnion
Serpent Master
ViperaUnion

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 pm

"Hello, people!" Kyra called, as she, Var, and the thee hyenas arrived into the Sunset Pride's camp. While Zanita looked perfectly calm to be among these lions, Cully and the other male cautiously stayed behind their leader, as though slightly nervous, though there was no reason to be. Out of the entire group, the silver lioness seemed to be the only one who was giddy with excitement, as though she were the most greatly affected by meeting Gamba's mother. Maybe she had a concussion from hitting her head on the tree, or perhaps she just naturally had more energy than everyone else. Regardless, she jumped between her paws energetically, and ran around the camp until she found the entrance of Kal and Mira's den. Peeking in so she could see the four adult lions and the three cubs there, she had a look of pure joy on her face, "Hey, Var and I are back, and we found Zanita!" She said, she kept her voice down so as not to startle the cubs, although the whisper projected, regardless. She then retreated from the entrance, before Jali, Sira, Mira, or Kal could make any reply, and ran back to the group, before beginning to pace in a circle, hardly containing her excitement.

Zanita just watched the oddly-colored lioness with an amused look on her face, "Goodness, stop pacing, dear, you're making us all feel old." Kyra then skidded to a halt, and then sat down, "Yes sir-I mean ma'am!" She caught herself, and then was quiet, trying to sit still. Unfortunately, her happiness was still evident, as she was unable to keep a straight face, and she kept twitching, as though actively resisting the urge to move. The whole thing was highly entertaining and endearing, overall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pride Days (IC): Hurt   The Pride Days (IC): Hurt - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Pride Days (IC): Hurt
Page 16 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next